Digital Content Officer
The Abbey, Ireland’s national theatre, is seeking a Digital Content Officer to join our fast paced Communications (marketing and press) team. At a time of great growth in digital for the Abbey with 64% of our bookings being made online and a new website launched in August 2017, we are recruiting a Digital Content Officer. The creation of high-quality content is a key strand in our Digital Strategy. This is a perfect role for a self-starter who is passionate about theatre to join an experienced and dynamic team.
Are you passionate about telling stories? Do you know how to ask smart questions to unearth an interesting story? Are you a skilled videographer? Can you turn around content fast? Have you a track record of bringing your work to multiple audiences? Are you also good at digital marketing or photography or graphic design? And do you love theatre?
If you have answered yes to any of these questions, we would be interested in talking to you.
The Abbey Theatre is Ireland’s national theatre and occupies a unique position in the hearts and minds of Irish people. It has two theatres; the Abbey, with a capacity of 494 seats, and the Peacock, with a capacity of 132 seats. We produce a year round programme of productions, public readings, talks, workshops and artistic development work. We produce work at home and on tour, which not only showcases Irish and international theatre but also engages with the artistic and civic life of contemporary Ireland.
Duties of the Digital Content Officer include but are not limited to:
- Produce video and multi-media content to tell the story of the Abbey’s activities in order to encourage engagement with our brand and generate ticket sales and participation in our activities.
- Act as a digital story-teller for the Abbey working closely with our artists, staff and the Directors of the Abbey, to bring their vision for Ireland’s national theatre to multiple audiences.
- In your role as digital story-teller establish a reputation for the Abbey for the creation of high-quality content.
- Work closely with directors, actors, creative teams, stage management and production staff to create content that brings the life and work of the Abbey Theatre to multiple audiences.
- Liaison with outside agencies and freelance videographers on any outsourced projects.
- Empower Abbey staff to capture what they create by teaching them to use and innovate with everything from a mobile phone to the latest technologies.
- Play a key role in the implementation of the Abbey’s Digital Strategy, supporting the work of the Digital Marketing Manager.
- Promote video and the multi-media content you produce across all relevant digital channels to ensure reach and engagement with the content.
- Act as a key support to the Communications team in their production of up to 40 campaigns annually by creating content in a quick turn-around time.
- Ensure the Abbey website and key social media channels offer the best possible representation of the Abbey to Ireland and the world.
- Support the work of our international touring partners to promote and sell our work internationally.
- Keep abreast of and champion our discovery and use of innovative technologies and new trends in digital marketing and digital art.
Depending on your skill-set and what you can bring to the role:
- Digital marketing; everything from promotion of your content to participation in other aspects of a typical promotional campaign including social media or email marketing.
- Photograph Abbey activities and promote the results on relevant channels.
- Graphic design of materials from videos to presentations to gifs in consultation with the Graphic Designer.
- Record content such as adverts and vox-pops to complement the Abbey’s existing activities.
- Forge excellent relationships with actors, writers, directors, artists and network and represent the Abbey Theatre at industry events.
- Ensure the best representation of the Abbey Theatre brand across all channels.
- Input purchases to Opera, the Abbey’s financial management system.
- Support the work of the Digital Marketing Manager and Head of Communications. and undertake any tasks as may be deemed appropriate and reasonable.
The post holder will have:
- A qualification or background in video production.
- One of the following, other skills is desirable: photography, graphic design, radio production, journalism.
- A digital or digital marketing qualification is desirable.
- A marketing/sales/strategic mindset.
- Demonstrable experience of producing high-quality work.
- Demonstrable experience of working well within a team and in a large organisation.
- Demonstrable experience of autonomy, self-motivation and initiative.
- Spoken Irish is an advantage but not a requirement.
Communications team, Abbey directors, Abbey artists, Sales and Customer Service, Development, Community and Education, Production, Tessitura Administrator, Abbey Theatre artists
Abbey Theatre Audiences, Digital Agency, Advertising agency, Photographers, Designers, Videographers, Theatre Community, Industry Peers
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Post: This is a fixed term six month contract with the Abbey Theatre. This role would be with an immediate start.
Hours: Standard hours are 09.30 to 17.30 with an hour for lunch. This post requires attendance at performances and events outside of normal hours on a regular basis.
Annual Salary: Salary commensurate with skills and experience.
Probationary period: 6 months
Holidays : 24 days per annum (including Good Friday & Christmas Eve)
Public Holidays : 9 Public holidays per annum
Pension: The Abbey Theatre provides employees with access to a Personal Retirement Savings Account (PRSA) and will match contributions up to 5.5% of salary.
Employees must contribute a min. of 3% to avail of employer contributions. Contributions are made through payroll.
Life Assurance: The Abbey Theatre Group Life Assurance plan provides a benefit to all employees of 4 times annual salary in the event of death while in service.
Health Insurance : Employees are provided with the option to join the Abbey Theatre – VHI Group Scheme. Participant employees receive a 10% discount on any VHI plan and the subscription is deducted through payroll.
To apply, please send the following:
1) A portfolio of at least three samples of your relevant work (ideally via link)
2) An up to date CV
3) A covering letter outlining why you want this particular post and highlighting the skills and experience that you could contribute and an Abbey Theatre Application form to:
Barbara Pender HR Administrator Abbey Theatre 26 Lower Abbey Street Dublin 1
The closing date for applications is Thursday 17 August 2017 at 5pm. Interviews will commence on Wednesday 23rd August.
The Abbey Theatre is an equal opportunities employer.