Located on a 16-acre site in Glenageary, Co. Dublin, Rathdown School is a voluntary, fee-paying school for girls, providing pre-school, junior and senior level education to both boarding and day pupils. Founded in 1973, Rathdown School is consistently ranked among the top schools in Ireland and aims to offer a high-quality, modern, challenging and liberal education in an inclusive and friendly learning environment.
We welcome pupils from Pre-School age (3 years) to Leaving Certificate level (18 years), delivering a broad range of academic subjects in small class groups, combined with a wide and varied programme of extra-curricular activities. We also provide a boarding experience which is central to school life at Rathdown, creating a warm and caring home-from-home atmosphere, and incorporating a dedicated international programme for overseas students.
Currently, there are 500 students between the ages of 3 and 18, and these students are supported and served by 60 academic and administrative staff. Students and staff, together with the Board of Governors, Board of Management, parents, and alumni, form the Rathdown School Community.
Our first class facilities include state-of-the-art boarding rooms, a purpose-built Performing Arts Academy, a Design and Communications Graphics Laboratory, exemplary ICT resources and extensive sports grounds with a fully-equipped sports hall, water-based and sand-based hockey pitches, tennis courts, a tartan cricket crease and 200m running track.
To assist in the delivery of the Board-approved strategy to develop Rathdown School as a nationally and internationally renowned education institution, we are now seeking to fill the role of Marketing Manager.
This role will report to the Head of School and the role holder will be a key member of the leadership and management team.
The purpose of the role of Manager, Marketing & Communications is to create and communicate a compelling narrative / story about Rathdown School such that it is recognised, nationally and internationally, as a first class private education institution that provides engaging teaching and learning opportunities for students and staff thus stimulating them to achieve their full potential in life. Given the specific context of this role within an educational institution, the role holder must rapidly acclimate to Rathdown School; thoroughly know the history, culture, traditions and constituencies of the school; understand the educational philosophy; and ensure that all narratives about the school and its constituencies are consistent with that context.
The Manager, Marketing & Communications will lead, plan, direct and implement overall strategies for all marketing and communications on behalf of Rathdown School in order to raise Rathdown School’s visibility, advance its brand, and articulate clear messaging to internal and external constituencies. The Manager will oversee and actively participate in the creation, design, budget and production of regularly produced events and all school publications.
Specifically, the Manager will be responsible for:
- Management & co-ordination of all advertising, publicity, and public relations and serve as the school’s spokesperson when so designated by the Head of School;
- Develop marketing and communications strategies and plans that advance Rathdown School and drive increased engagement with prospective and current constituencies;
- Collaborate with administrative departments to assist in articulating their purpose and on-going work. Specifically this includes, but is not exclusive to, the Board of Governors, School Principal, Junior School Principal, Deputy Principals, Head of Boarding, Campus Manager, School Registrar, Performing Arts Academy Director, and a number of Advisory Councils and Administrative Committees as required;
- Ensure brand and messaging quality and consistency, and establish guidelines to apply across all departments, activities and events at the school and among professional and volunteer leadership;
- In collaboration with the School Registrar, design strategies and implement concrete plans to increase student applications and maintain prospective student and family interest;
- In collaboration with the Alumni Officer, design strategies and implement plans to develop and capitalize on the robust and extensive school alumni to develop the brand and drive increased revenue contribution;
- Plan for and deploy digital activities: website, online campaigns, e-mail marketing, social media and digital content production;
- Working with the Financial Controller, plan and manage the Marketing & Communications budget in order to maximize the effectiveness of all communications. This includes outsourcing the production of materials when appropriate;
- Create and execute a plan that regularly places the school in local media. Manage all messaging in the media;
- Review, revise, and update as necessary the school’s crisis communication plan;
- Manage all aspects of the school’s print and electronic communications, ensuring the continuity of the school’s brand and logo. Oversee the work of graphic designers and print vendors in production of printed materials and web visuals. Develop and manage all print marketing materials for the school such as yearbooks, brochures and prospectus, and the weekly newsletter to parents;
- Engage actively in professional development in order to remain current in best practices related to independent school communications, emerging social media, and effective marketing and advertising strategies;
- Develop an in-depth understanding of the Irish and international private education market place for the benefit of the school’s marketing strategy;
- Co-ordinate the planning and manage the execution of all school events such as Open Days, Sports Days, Scholarships Days etc.;
- Identify and actively participate in external events for promotional opportunities such as the National Ploughing Championship, various Educational Fairs etc.;
- Represent the Marketing & Communications function at various weekly, monthly and quarterly meetings with Head of School and Senior Management Team as required.
The Manager, Marketing & Communications will have the following types of experience and qualifications:
- A BA/BS (or suitable equivalent) degree from an accredited college or university in a field related to marketing and communications or other appropriate 3rd level qualification; an advanced degree is preferred;
- Three to five years of increased leadership experience in marketing and communications, preferably in an independent school or other non-profit organization;
- Outstanding speaking, writing, and editing skills;
- Deep knowledge of the principles of marketing and communications and fluency in using social media effectively;
- Ability to develop, monitor, and adhere to budgets and production schedules;
- Ability to create print materials using Photoshop, InDesign, or other comparable layout software;
- Demonstrated success in bringing regular, positive media attention to an organization;
- Demonstrated success in managing multiple projects with shifting priorities and competing deadlines.
- This role is likely to appeal to an emerging professional who is looking for a different challenge for the next 3 years. The successful candidate will be ambitious, seeking autonomy and an opportunity to create a brand impact in a “left-of-field” sector. This person will see the opportunity to be creative and different that this role presents, while understanding and respecting the boundaries that naturally exist with the ethos of an educational institution.
- The successful candidate should be;
- A mission-driven individual with a belief in and commitment to Rathdown School’s mission and values;
- A good listener and strategist; comfortable receiving input from many sources, and able to analyze and formulate disparate information into a sound, well-organized plan;
- An excellent networker and an ability to act as an “Ambassador” for the school internally and externally;
- Intrepid yet tactful; determined yet respectful of others’ concerns; someone with the flexibility and creativity needed to find alternative ways to reach objectives when barriers arise; a skilled negotiator who does not drive him/herself or others into a corner;
- A team builder – confident and competent, with strong skills in management and leadership; one who understands the subtleties of motivating and directing a diverse group of personalities with different work styles;
- A hard worker with a high energy level; a “doer” with a willingness to work hands-on in developing and executing a variety of development and advancement activities;
- Emotionally mature with a very good sense of humour and the flexibility and sensitivity to work with diverse personalities and situations.
The post is a 3-year fixed-term contract role based in Rathdown School. An attractive salary is available, commensurate with experience.